Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Power of the Smorg

I just had a lunch that reminded me of one of the major guns in my diet arsenal: the Smorg. I recently noticed that Dave and I have been using this term for quite some time without really thinking about it. The concept is simple, straightforward, and not in the least new or unique. Basically, a Smorg consists of a compilation of any and all leftovers from the fridge into a single meal. For me, the Smorg is mostly vegetable-based, but it packs in one meal the variety of flavors, textures and aromas of a week's worth of meals! You can throw zucchini marinara, fauxtatoes and green beans over a leftover hamburger (lean, of course, as I did today), or mix your cajun-spiced pork with leftover chicken soup over cold soba noodles. There are no rules for Smorging: anything in the fridge (or pantry, even) is fair game. This keeps things interesting, gives your taste buds a jolt, and can subtly (or significantly) change the original palette of the foods, as they were individually. It instantly creates variety and cleans out your refrigerator at the same time.

Smorg is totally versatile for use as virtually any part of speech: We can Smorg it up (verb); break out the Smorg (noun); say "that's so Smorg!" (adjective) or "that was Smorg-alicious!" (also an adjective). And, best of all, the Smorg is very...filling. I'm stuffed!

No comments:

Post a Comment