Friday, January 9, 2009

The Joy of Soy!

I would venture to say that Dave and I are fairly progressive when it comes to soy. We drink soy milk (and when I say "we" I really mean "Dave"). I cook with soy milk. We eat soybeans (we prefer to call them edamame...we're crazy like that). We even eat miso soup, complete with the little chunks of tofu floating in it (okay, it took me a few years to actually eat those little chunks of tofu, but I actually kinda like them).

We had not, until now, experimented with actual tofu. You know, the packaged block of white stuff you can find in the refrigerated produce area in the supermarket. It really intimidated me! But tonight, I had a recipe for Tofu Alfredo Sauce, which called for "silken" tofu in place of cream.

Oh. My. God. First of all, it couldn't have been easier to make. Second, it tasted just like the artery-clogging alfredo sauce that (in a past life) I would have been dunking my unlimited breadsticks in at Olive Garden. I had it with shrimp over butternut squash -- it was delicious, filling, and seemed absolutely sinful. I really felt like I had cheated! But I only ingested about 400 calories and 15 grams of fat (NO saturated fat) in that entire meal. I don't even want to think about what the real thing would have cost me.

And that, to me, is the joy of soy.

No comments:

Post a Comment