Monday, February 16, 2009

A Note from the Heart


Six years ago, on President's Day, my dad died of a massive heart attack. He collapsed while snow blowing his driveway, and likely was gone before he even hit the ground. He was 53 years old.

While the actual day was February 17th (tomorrow), I will always remember it on President's Day. So today, I will remember my dad... and all of the reasons why it is so important to take care of my body and live the best life that I can, as long as I can.

I loved my dad very much. I still love him. But I can't help but feel a little bit angry that he didn't take care of himself better, and even angrier for him that he was cheated of a long and happy life, of retirement, of time with his grandchildren... some of whom will never know him in life.

It was a fluke that I actually saw my dad the night before he died, and I'm so grateful for that. My parents were "babysitting" our dog Ollie, and Dave and I went to pick her up earlier than expected because we knew that a blizzard was coming. That night, Dad was enjoying a big old slice of pizza. For a long time after, I could not even think about pizza without feeling more than a little nauseated.

My dad enjoyed good food. He smoked. He didn't exercise. (Although I do have a memory of running with my dad ONCE... and only once. I try to forget the fact that I was wearing foam rollers in my hair at the time.)

Despite my mom's urging, he never went to the doctor. According to my mom, he thought that he would live into his nineties, as his mother did. I also think that he was just afraid of what he would find out. His father had died of a heart attack before my dad was 17 years old. Heart disease ran in his family -- and it ran hard. After my father's death, several uncles sought medical attention and found that they were dangerously close to following his path. All were treated and are doing well. I am glad that something good could come out of it, but I wish that my dad didn't have to die to make the point.

February is American Heart Month. Cardiovascular diseases are the number one cause of death in the United States, and so many are preventable through a healthy lifestyle and, if necessary, medication. You don't have to starve yourself, or run a marathon. You just have to use common sense and moderation. So from my heart to yours: we have only one body, and one life to live... please take care of yours.

Of course, there was more to my dad than how his life ended, and his life serves just as much as an example to me as his death. He worked hard. He enjoyed what he had and provided well for his family. And he was loved by family and many friends. I want to remember and strive for these things as much as for good health.

I love you, Dad. I miss you. And I will never forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment