Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Close, Personal Relationship with My Kitchen Appliances

One thing that I am enjoying about this new way of eating is that for the first time, I am really starting to use all of the cool kitchen gadgets I've been accumulating over the years -- many of which had been collecting dust in the cabinet, despite the fact that I needed them desperately at the time of purchase. These are a few that I'm getting to know...for better, or worse.

I absolutely love, love, love my KitchenAid Stand Mixer! It's helping me make dough from scratch without breaking a sweat (though I admit I could use the exercise), and is great for whipping up batters for SB-legal sweet treats (yes, they do exist). It was also really good for making whipped cream...something that I will just have to reserve for holidays and other special occasions. I need to make a permanent spot for this baby on my counter.

My blender sucks with a capital S. I take full responsibility for this, because I put it on our wedding registry without really doing my research. I also made the mistake of putting the little circular insert-thingy for the cover on the bottom rack of the dishwasher, so now it's all warped, melted, and basically unusable (though for some strange reason I'm still holding on to it). When I do use the blender, I have to cover that hole with my hand. Currently, the only thing the blender is moderately good at is mixing up a day's worth of formula for the baby...and that's only because it's just water and powder. Anything else it just spins around.

It took me a while, but I've finally warmed up to my food processor. Turns out I had to (accidentally) break three pieces off the cover before it would open and close smoothly. It isn't pretty, but it gets the job done. I've actually been cheating on my blender with the food processor... especially when making smoothies. Unfortunately, the food processor doesn't have a pour spout, so I'm still going to have to find myself a new blender eventually. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying the ride.

Last, but not least, is my faithful immersion blender. This one is an oldie, but a goodie. This always comes in handy when I'm cooking up a big pot of soup or sauce that I need to smooth out (and don't feel like pouring it, in batches, into a blender or food processor and then trying to figure out where to put the first batch so that I can blend the next one). While I don't use it often, I can't bring myself to let it go because, like some of the outfits in my closet, I just might need it someday.

I'd love to know what appliances others are using, loving, hating, can't live without or can't wait to toss out. Especially blenders... because I'm in the market for one.

4 comments:

  1. Blenders- I am IN LOVE with mine. It's the Margaritaville® Bahamas™ Frozen Concoction™ Maker.
    I've only used it for frozen drinks and smoothies but it's amazing. Perfectly crushes the ice, gives you the option to add more ice or just mix without adding more ice.
    I couldn't imagine a summer without it.

    It's only downfall is the price... thankfully I got mine as a shower gift...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm also in love with my kitchen aid stand mixer. It's a godsend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may have to get married again, just so I can upgrade some of my gadgets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just going through my kitchen looking for something to make for dinner and I ran across my Magic Bullet.
    GET ONE. I can't believe I forgot how amazing it is... sure it only makes small batches at a time, but it's pefect for a fresh smoothie or for a personal sized helping of chicken salad or something.
    It's really affordable too, and the infomercial doesn't lie. It works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete