Saturday, February 7, 2009

Baby Steps

The temperature actually went above freezing today, so I went for the first run of my "couch to 5k" running program! And it was a serious workout, too, considering the ten extra pounds of layered clothing that I put on to preempt the cold -- and the extra agility challenges, as I tip-toe-side-stepped my way through patches of ice on the sidewalk (please clear off your sidewalks, people!).

But I feel good. Great, even. I took the first step toward getting fit! Now I just have to remember to take baby steps.

So I'm setting a goal, and some rules. My town has an annual 5K run, which is coming up in April; my goal is to run in that 5K. My running plan is set at just the right pace to get me there. And now the rules:

1. I MUST follow the plan. I have to fight the urge to sprint ahead (no pun intended), which will ultimately burn me out. (Can you tell that I am an all-or-nothing person?)

2. No more excuses. Too cold, too wet, not enough time, I've got to get up early, I have to do the dishes... these are not going to help me reach my goal.

3. Cut myself some slack. At the same time, I have to give myself a break. If I'm sick, I'm sick. If I do fall off the plan, I can't beat myself up over it. Just like with my eating plan, I just have to pick myself up, dust myself off, and keep moving forward.

So, today is day one. Baby step one. I dare you to run with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment