Monday, February 9, 2009

Holy Hip Flexors, Batman!

You know how when you start a workout routine, you suddenly become aware of a whole host of muscles that you didn't even know you had? Well, today is day three of my new running routine, and hello, hip flexors!

I've stopped and started countless workout routines, and the beginning always goes like this:

On the day of, I feel all wiggly-loosey-goosey. It's actually kind of nice.

The day after, I start to feel a little sore. Not too bad, but I'm starting to notice those long-forgotten muscles.

The second day after, my muscles are screaming and I want to DIE.

Guess what day I'm on? And in this case, my hip flexors are doing all the screaming, with some echoes coming from the peanut gallery (the fronts of my thighs and shins, thanks to the somewhat hilly nature of my running route).

The trick is getting past that second day, which means exercising through the pain. That, and lots of stretching. Once I get through today, and as long as I continue to exercise these muscle groups regularly, it will not hurt nearly as much.

I'm going to keep reminding myself of that, as I build up the courage to get out and run today. In the meantime, ouuuuuuuuuuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment