Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Channeling a Tropical Paradise


After a week or so of glorious spring-like weather, winter seems to have returned with a teeny bit of vengeance: it was only 31 degrees (Fahrenheit) this morning when I forced my butt out the door for a run. (I do have to admit, though, that once I got moving I hardly felt the cold at all.)

When I got back from my run, I was naturally jonesing for something that would warm me up. Foraging around in the fridge, I pulled some eggs, low fat cheddar cheese, low fat sour cream, and some black bean salsa left over from an awesome dinner I made the other night (can't take credit... for the recipe, check out my new favorite blog, Kalyn's Kitchen). The result: a yummy South American omelet that warmed me up, cleared my sinuses and filled my head with thoughts of warm, sunny beaches and ice cold margaritas. I even spiced up my V8 with a little hot sauce and a squeeze of lime.

Now, not willing to leave the imaginary tropical breezes behind, I'm sipping a delicious (and healthy!) coconut-mango smoothie. All I need is a paper umbrella and a cabana boy (oh, Dave??), and I'll be set.

Steph's Coconut-Mango Smoothie
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup fat free plain yogurt
1/2 cup frozen mango, cubed (about 14 pieces; I use the Trader Joe's Frozen Mango Chunks)
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 packets sugar substitute (I use Splenda)

Put all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.

Tired of winter, and ready for some tropical sun? Make this smoothie, pull up a lounge chair and enjoy along with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment