Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Taking the Potato Off Its Pedestal


You know those revealing photos you find on People, TMZ, or XYZ (insert your favorite gossip rag here) that show celebrities without their make-up? And you are horrified to discover that those gorgeous, flawless and oh-so-put-together celebs, underneath layers of meticulously applied make-up, are actually wrinkled or blemished or worse, just (gasp!) plain?

That is the sad realization I came to yesterday after a few bites of a much anticipated baked potato. On its own, a potato is just dry, pale and pasty... not unlike some of these make-up-less celebrities.

I know what you're thinking. Stephanie ate a baked potato? What about South Beach? Isn't that illegal? Okay, so maybe you're not thinking that. But yes, I did eat a baked potato, which is actually okay to eat (VERY RARELY) on the Beach. I took precautions, such as pairing the potato with carb competitors like a little fat and fiber -- in the form of some chili -- to slow down digestion of the starch. I even ate the skin, which is full of fiber and holds pretty much all of the worthwhile nutrients the potato can claim. But that's beside the point.

I realized, as I added my Smart Balance, and (low fat) sour cream, and loaded on the garlic pepper...that the potato itself actually has no real flavor on its own. Think about it: have you ever had a plain, no-frills potato? A baked potato is all about the toppings -- butter, sour cream, chives, even broccoli and cheese. The flavor in mashed potatoes comes from butter, milk, cream cheese and whatever else you throw in. Even french fries taste like salt and the fat they're fried in (and if you think I'm wrong about that one, consider how you felt when McDonald's went trans-fat-free on their fries).

I never thought I'd say this -- not in a million years -- but I think I'm done with the potato. I would much rather enjoy a food that doesn't have to be "doctored" to have any flavor. A sweet potato, for example, is far more moist, nutritious and flavorful without adding anything to it.

Forget the make-up. Natural beauty is where it's at. And if you are what you eat... well, you do the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment